6 Reasons Why December is the Perfect Time to Donate
Goodwill of North Georgia accepts year-round donations across our many donation centers. However, December is the best and busiest time of year to donate your gently used items to the nonprofit in your area.
Why is December (and the holidays in general) a good time to donate items that are no longer needed? Goodwill suggests the following reasons to donate this time of year:
- Donations Fuel Our Mission to Put People to Work. When you donate gently used items, they do more than stock our stores. The profit supports the operations of our career centers and skill training programs. Your donations help your neighbors find a job, better job, or a career.
- Donations Help the Environment. Goodwill aims to extend the lifecycle of every donation. For items that can’t be sold, Goodwill does everything they can to keep those items out of Georgia landfills and support the environment. Last fiscal year, Goodwill of North Georgia diverted over 44 million pounds of items from landfills.
- Donations are Tax Deductible. If you’re looking to make a charitable contribution for the 2022 tax year, don’t wait to donate. Do not forget your receipt upon donating.
- Donations are Tracked for Convenience. The donation tracker helps keep track of your donation receipts. The system makes it easy for you to print a yearly summary of your donations – perfect for tax season when you need to claim a deduction for your charitable contributions.
- Donations Clear Space Before the Holidays. Holidays are about giving, receiving, and sharing love between family and friends. That is often correlated with gift exchanges, which means things can start to pile up. Donate unused housewares such as cooking utensils, toasters, and other kitchen appliances, or give away last year’s winter clothes that no longer fit to create space for the new.
- Donations Become Treasures for Someone New. Once donated, your gently used items are inspected and put on the sales floor within 24 hours. They are given a whole new life, becoming a treasure for someone else to find.
Visit https://goodwillng.org/locations/donation-centers/ to find the nearest donation center to you.